Tuesday, March 20, 2007




1 in household
I am still amazed by the souvenirs I saved from having a hankie and a cup. While I was in Kentucky for four days I saved 30+ cups and 40+ paper towels. While away, I threw away one really messy paper plate with greasy tomato sauce and some fruit skins. I brought home, one Styrofoam bowl I took from the breakfast room without even thinking about it, (it was a pre-coffee choice) two napkins that came with my silverware at restaurants, one single sized peanut butter cuplette, and two straws.
While I was at home alone for two days, my compostable and hard souvenirs dropped to almost nothing. I did eat out at least one meal a day and one fine morning my friend Jennifer Lapham made me eggs which tasted even better because of the great stories that flow so easily from the four year old mind of Zeek. All of what you see from this picture was created in the small kitchenette in my studio. Bringing home coffee grinds to photograph is an odd experience.
I am now in Philly and the stress of very nearly missing my plane sent me off the souvenir wagon. While in the Detroit airport I created as much garbage as I did in four days in Louisville. Having re-established a home base, I went to a bakery this morning with my coffee cup in hand and I'm back in reduction mode. I am ever reminded that this project is about a vigilant level of conscious choices. One slip and BAM, I am loaded up with souvenirs.

No comments: